Wilderness Renegade Ankle Holster, leather
While we have always had an absolute dislike for copying other's designs, an exception has arisen. We were happy buying the Renegade "Cozy Partner" Ankle holsters from the Renegade Holster and Leather Co. and retailing them for years as a slightly enhanced version we modified in-house, but unfortunately they are no longer in business and this great CCW rig has been out of production.
Years ago, our founder Ralph Holzhaus had mentioned to the owner of Renegade that if she ever wanted to sell the company that The Wilderness might be interested in acquiring it. However, we never heard back and Renegade has now disappeared. Our attempts to contact them have proven futile, so here we are trying to fill our own needs and others. We are now making our version of the "Renegade" ankle holsters here in Phoenix, as with all Wilderness-brand products. We are very pleased with the quality of the product, including a few of our own improvements.
- Both elastic and leather holster bodies available for many snub revolvers and autos. Compatibility list will continually expand as we discover which similar models also fit the available sizes.
- The elastic ankle band is now a slightly heavier material, and we have added a hook fastener overlock piece for security against it coming unfastened unintentionally.
- We use real sheepskin, not synthetic, and trim the fleece by hand to shape.
- A vapor barrier is added behind the sheepskin fleece to reduce sweat transfer to the holster and your gun.
- The gun pouch is made from a new custom-laminated version of the heavier elastic used on the ankle band. It is more rugged, water-resistant, and is molded and sewn to specific gun models for a proper fit (*pistols with squared trigger guards may require a slight side-to-side rocking motion to seat into the holster when new). We offer a growing variety of versions to fit many popular autos and revolvers.
- Our version of the holster body extends below the muzzle to both conceal it and protect your ankle bone from it. This also helps prevent debris and water from getting into the muzzle.
- Our model for autos features a retention strap made of our XHD elastic webbing and it may be used in two different ways; either by a sharp pull-through draw which will force the elastic slide off of the back of most autos and release them, or by pressing with your thumb against the sewn-in "pinch" and sliding it forward off of the pistol slide's rear much like using a thumb-break. This pinched area may also be grasped to pull the strap up and over the slide to secure the pistol when reholstering. Silent and extremely secure even when running, we think this new strap design works very well.
- Respected custom holstermaker Garrity's Gunleather here in Phoenix is making the optional leather holster portion for autos on our ankle base. Numerous versions will be offered both in-stock and with reasonable lead times.
- Leather holster bodies are made of thin, water-repellent horsehide and use a pull-through retention snap design.
- Leather versions are available in black. Please allow 2-3 week lead time as they are custom made.
- Please allow 1-2 weeks lead time for "Special Fit" elastic holsters.
- Right-hand and left-hand models available, but stock may vary.
- Optional "Yeti" Ammo Pouch for SpeedStrips/QuickStrips/small mags. Designed with our friend and world-class shooting instructor Steve "The Yeti" Fisher, the pouch features a hook-and-loop flap closure for security. Positioned on the front of ankle band. Fits .38 Spec. and .357 Magnum, and Glock 42/43/26/27 with NO extensions, and similar magazines. *Constructed from 1000d Cordura on both elastic and leather holster versions. Also available as a retrofit for previous Wilderness Renegade Holsters; please call for more info at 1-800-775-5650.
- Optional Renegade Ankle Band 4" Extension adds up to 4" of circumference to fit over boots or around very large ankles.
Due to the ever-changing models of handguns and accessories, we have removed our model list and are asking you to enter your exact handgun and specs. We believe this is the best way for us to get you the correct size.
IMPORTANT: Elastic Holster Break-In Period and Retention
The "Snub" holster retention is designed to use the back of the revolver's trigger guard to hold the gun in place. However, putting a wedge-shaped grip that leaves no protruding trigger guard on the gun will nullify the holster's ability to retain the weapon securely.
Our models for autos feature a retention strap made of our XHD elastic webbing. It is also quite snug and is designed to be secure even after break-in. When holstering your auto, be sure to hold the rear of the slide with your thumb to make sure that it does not go out of battery. After a few days in the holster, the slide should not come out of battery.
Compatibility: Potential Trijicon HD Sight Conflict, Laser Sights
While it may not affect all Trijicon HD sights, we have found their rear sights can be exceptionally sharp and difficult to manipulate the elastic retention strap over to draw the gun. This could trap the pistol in the holster at the most inopportune moment, so we advise checking your rear sight prior to ordering and we don't recommend our elastic holster if the sight has extremely sharp edges. It may also lead to premature wear of the strap. This issue does not affect the leather version of the Renegade which uses a different retention strap.
At this time we are only able to offer compatibility with certain Crimson Trace brand laser sighting systems. Please call with any questions.
Correct Use of the Elastic Retention Strap
The retention strap has two correct positions: 1.) "Standard Position" behind the slide resting above any beavertail extension, or 2.) As an intentional "Safety Position" over the backstrap when you need to be absolutely sure the gun is retained during dynamic movement or exercise. The normal position is very secure when the strap is properly placed and may be used with normal exercise, and is fast to push off with the firing-hand thumb or palm. The safety position with the strap lower over the backstrap of the pistol where the web of the shooting hand would be is quite difficult to release and requires the strap be lifted by the thumb lug and moved off the gun past the slide. DO NOT use this safety position if you may need to quickly access the weapon.
Care must be taken to secure the strap correctly behind the slide so it can't slip down onto the grip's backstrap and pin the weapon unexpectedly in the holster.
Fit and Concealment: Larger Sizes Not for Everyone
Although we make Renegade holsters for larger autos like the Glock 26/27 or XD subcompacts, in reality you may not be comfortable carrying them on your ankle. We recommend trying one first at your Wilderness dealer if you can.
There are several good ankle holsters available, and none can be best for everyone. However, this Renegade holster design has worked well for us personally over the years and has earned many fans throughout the shooting and law enforcement world. We are proud to make this classic available again to discerning shooters everywhere, and we think better than ever.